Each week, we ask someone about zero waste approach.
This week, it’s Inès from theLes Petits Gestes Instagram account.
Hello Inès, and thank you for agreeing to tell us a little more about your habits to reduce waste.
In a few words who are you and what do you do for a living?
Hello, my name is Inès, I am 27 years old and I am in charge of digital campaigns at UNICEF France. In my free time, I created the Les Petits Gestes instagram page to raise awareness about the ecological crisis, but also to offer simple little gestures to have an eco-responsible lifestyle.
What was your trigger to move towards a zero waste approach?
There were 2 successive elements :
- Reading the book Mengele Zoo which tells the story of a little boy butterfly hunter who cannot stand still when he realizes that the Amazon rainforest is being wiped out
- A 1 year trip to Australia and 3 months to Asia. I saw the simple beauty of nature but also the mountains of plastic that pile up in the trash cans of rich countries and on the soil of poor countries. In the end, always ends up in the same, : in the oceans, burned in harsh air or accumulated in open dumps.
After seeing all this, I became aware of the seriousness of the ecological problemand the urgency with which to react. So I analyzed my daily life and decided to change everything.
What daily actions make you reduce your impact on the environment the most?
I think all the little things I do together can have a big impact. But if you have to pick a few I would say:
- No longer take the plane but favor travel by train, bus or carpooling
- No longer buying plastic (switch to bulk): bottles, over-packaged products, single-use products
- Stop buying cosmetics or household products : learn how to make them
- Buy only local and seasonal fruits
Let’s talk a little about handkerchief, because here it’s kind of our specialty, do you use fabric handkerchiefs?
Not at all. I don’t even buy facial tissues actually, I just use toilet paper when needed.
What would motivate you to buy handkerchiefs?
I would just have to take the plunge. I think we all have a priori when it comes to washable products in terms of hygiene. Once reassured and convinced I start !
So, ready to take the plunge with ernest&lulu organic handkerchiefs?
Yes, completely ready?
Any advice or a tip to help our readers reduce their waste too?
Go at your own pace. It’s almost impossible to change everything all at once so don’t put the pressure on yourself. One small gesture after another and if you feel discouraged remember that there are no small gestures if there are 7 billion of us making them and each purchase (or not purchase) is a political act. So be consum’actors !
Thank you Inès !
To find her, it’s on her Instagram account or on her website.
- Les Petits Gestes
If you too would like to talk about your zero waste daily life, contact us at email@example.com with Interview in the subject line?